Monday, February 3, 2014

Girls Love Sports, Too!

Girls do, in fact, love sports.  Being a female sports fan, I constantly endure questions about WHY I'm a sports fan.  Is it because I think Dustin Pedroia has a great ass?  Is it because I like Troy Polamalu's Head & Shoulders commercials?  While those things are true (I AM a girl), I love sports just as much as I love anything else.

I will laugh and cry and scream going along with the ups and downs of my teams.  I will yell at my TV, bitch about the refs and umps, and stand in line at obscene hours of the morning to get my championship swag.  But I will also comment on beautiful swings, throws, and catches.  I can name a player's stats at the drop of a hat (mostly) and I will talk to you about my teams' history when we fail to win a championship, but I will also talk about my teams' history when we do win a championship.

My sport is baseball and my team is the Boston Red Sox.  And yes, I am a pre-2004 Red Sox fan :)  I played softball for thirteen years, and I will dissect every play made during a game.  And my VERY close second is football, and my team is the Pittsburgh Steelers.  I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh, but my dad did, so I grew up watching the Steelers and fell in love with the sport.  Also, downhill skiing is one of my favourite sports to watch, and I will be glued to the TV for hours watching and cheering and comparing my skiing to that of the professionals (not very comparable, though).  Also guys, THE OLYMPICS START IN T-MINUS THREE DAYS.

Here are multiple struggles female sports fans know all too well:

Being asked if I'm trying to impress the male population

Having a guy try to explain the game to you after multiple assurances that you know what's actually going on

Two words: PINK JERSEYS

Do I think a lot of sports are violent?  Yes.  Does that deter me from loving them?  Absolutely not.

Keep cheering, female sports fans!  GO SPORTS.

Thanks for reading!

Kim














No comments:

Post a Comment