Sunday, September 11, 2016

New Continent Who Dis?

A journey of thoughts from Denver, Colorado to Kyoto, Japan.  Spoiler alert: I'm here!







  1. Mmmmm yes I love waking up at 4am to get to the airport
  2. THANK THE LORD MY BAG IS NOT OVERWEIGHT.
  3. I hope I don't fall asleep and miss my flight boarding
  4. I wonder why I fly to Calgary first on this trek, that just seems out of the way but whatever, this was the cheapest flight option.
  5. The Calgary airport doesn't have a whole lot of organization unless you're going to America. 
  6. I'm supposed to go to Gate 37.  Is that A, B, C, .....
  7. I'll ask this nice lady who works for the airport, she'll know what to do
  8. I don't know why she's taking me to the American departures area after I've explained three times I'm going to Tokyo, but she must know best, she does work here.
  9. Well if I'm in the wrong place, when my boarding pass is checked and they see I'm going to Tokyo, not America, and I'm still let through, I must be in the right place.
  10. LOL, Nope.
  11. Thank you to the nice customs man who brought me to where I was ACTUALLY supposed to be going and someone needs to explain to the nice lady who works for the airport that not all Americans are going to America.  
  12. The plane to Tokyo is less than half full.  Pretty sure my flight to Ethiopia was more full than this.  
  13. Oooooh, that's why I'm in Canada.  The flight route is up over Alaska and Russia and down to Japan.  I've never flown like that before.  
  14. Thankfully there's in-flight entertainment for the next 9 hours
  15. One hour left to go, still didn't sleep on the plane, freaking out about if I'll have enough time to change airports in Tokyo
  16. Okay, off the plane, let's pray my luggage got here.  
  17. Thank god it did. 
  18. Let's find any sign that says Haneda (the other Tokyo airport, where my flight to Osaka is leaving from in 3 hours) and go there
  19. Okay, got the ticket, found the bus.  This is super efficient and lined up nicely.
  20. How long does it take to get to Haneda Airport?  No one seems to care.
  21. That was like an hour bus ride, not too bad, still have 1.5 hours until my flight
  22. Is that the name of my airline?  I don't know, it's in Japanese
  23. Maybe if I stare at Japanese characters long enough, it'll just morph into English 
  24. Nope, no TARDIS translation matrix for you!
  25. Aaaaaaaaand flight's delayed
  26. Aaaaaaaaand flight's delayed again
  27. So hungry.  I have no idea what this box says but I'm too hungry to care.
  28. FINALLY DONE FLYING
  29. Now I just have to find my hostel, taxi drivers should know where it is!
  30. LOL, NOPE
  31. Is that it?  If so, I'd rather go back to the airport.  There's no signage and no lights in this entire neighborhood.  I listened to a murder podcast on the plane there's no way I'm getting out here.  
  32. Phew, that wasn't it.  Found it finally and it's cute and happy and not murder-y
  33. This owner is so nice I wish I was in a better mood to be cheerful back but I've been awake for 24 hours and traveled thousands of miles, I just want bed.
  34. Yes, bed.
  35. No, bed.  Jet lag means you wake up at 3am.

After making it to Hostel Moku Moku in Osaka, Japan for the night, I was able to catch a few hours sleep and lots of just laying in a very hard bed with a very hard pillow.  The next morning, I found a cheap breakfast place, walked the 3 minutes to the train station (I couldn't remember why I picked this specific hostel until I saw the train station next to it) and had a very nice woman who spoke no English help me out with how to buy my ticket to Kyoto.  Luckily, everything worked out, I made it to the university, found my dorm, and unpacked without much more struggle.  

Kyoto is beautiful and the public transportation system is amazing.  I spent some time exploring the temples in and around the city and I'm looking forward to Doshisha University orientation this week!



Currently no wifi, just plug-in, but I should have wifi soon and I'll be posting pictures on Instagram at @nesbittphotography 

Arigato! 

No comments:

Post a Comment